Thursday 6 September 2012

Not quite the domestic goddess!

Another thing that I love to do besides writing is cook. Yep, I’m quite the domestic goddess these days, swanning around the kitchen looking glamorous, taking care of the kids, keeping the house spotless and always having dinner on the table for when my lovely fiancé comes home…pfft! Yeah right, as much as I would love this to be the case, sadly it isn’t and as much as I love to cook, I don’t know if many people would agree that I’m very good at it. I am getting better, but my experiments go wrong far more often than not. In fact, just recently I wanted to make my father some vanilla fudge for his birthday, it’s his favourite, and I thought some home-made fudge would be the perfect gift. The recipe said easy, and that was by so many reviewers that I thought, what could possibly go wrong? Turns out, quite a lot, I ruined a perfectly good saucepan by burning the sticky mass to the bottom on my first attempt, my second attempt saw the end result resembling a platter we could have eaten off…but definitely not eaten. I even dropped it on the floor in an attempt to break it up and it still kept its still stayed solid. What a waste of ingredients. I have tried once or twice to make it since then, and have made edible batches, but they’ve always been crunchy rather than soft…and in case you’re wondering, I resorted to making flapjacks for my father for his birthday; even I can manage that easy recipe. Anybody who has any tips for making the perfect fudge, feel free to help me out!

Other culinary disasters have included… the time the handle broke on my frying pan and the fajita’s landed up on the floor, the time I forgot I had scones in the oven and my fiancé asked me about an hour and I half later why there was coal in the oven, another time I made biscuits that were so hard they managed to chip a friend’s tooth. Then of course, there was the dinner party where I forgot to turn the oven on for the casserole. Thank god for take-away! The strangest cooking experience I ever had was when I tried to make a white chocolate truffle cake, sounds heavenly right? Well it was so heavenly in fact that somehow the sponge base rose up through all the layers and when I went back to the fridge later to check it, I had an upside down cake… another dinner party where I was laughed at. Still, my upside down cake still tasted amazing so, can’t complain really.
So, I hope my writing turns out better than my cooking, because I don’t think I’ll be making a career as a chef anytime soon. Still, practise makes perfect and I promise that if and when I discover some amazing new recipes that are actually easy to make, then I’ll share them with you sometime! Thanks for reading and I hope you’re all having a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment